Re: Paper/Oil Capacitors

on that fateful day 8/17/00 11:52 AM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> Two years ago, 1/4 of the posts on this list delt with oil/poly caps.  In
> only a year, MMCs have virtually obsoleted homemade oil caps (I am waiting
> for them to obsolete the commercial ones too!).

 I think there is a point of diminishing returns.  I calculated the cost of
an MMC cap for my big coil at around $1300, not including mounting and
enclosure.  This needs to be an extremely robust cap, too.  1.0 uF, 35,000
Vpk, 25kW system power.

 I can buy a cap that will do the job nicely for around $600, $700 if I have
it customized somewhat.

- Gomez

aibohpphobia: fear of palindromes