Re: alternative materials for RSG electrodes?

In a message dated 8/16/00 6:51:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > Hello,
>  >
>  > I have heard of a reference to using copper bolts (silicon - bronze) for
>  > RSG electrodes.  Other than tungsten has anyone tried or have any
>  > thoughts on using titanium or monel (nickel - copper)?  Mcmaster carr
>  > sells these individually in a variety of sizes and not too $$$.  Of
>  > these 4 (copper, titanium, tungsten and monel) which sounds best for
>  > low-medium powered TC's?
>  >
>  > Thanks for any comments,
>  > John M.

John,

I've used plain steel or copper electrodes for years, and have
never had to replace an electrode due to wear.  At higher powers
(over 800 watts), I have to adjust them from time to time.  On
my TT-42 TC, I don't see any real erosion on the copper and steel
electrodes yet.  My use of a high primary surge impedance and
a low (120 bps) break-rate cuts down on electrode wear too of
course, so that helps.  I'd like to replace my steel spinning bolt
electrodes with copper ones sometime, not that I expect to see
any particular benefit.

cheers,
John Freau