Re: Question regarding first (small) coil

Hi B. Marshall, All!,

  I'd avoid the ceramic caps, as they tend to heat up and their
capacitance will drift.  This makes the coil start out in tune and
then drift out of tune.  That'd be enough to steer *me* away,
unless they were free, and all I had.  If SW caps aren't the way
you want to go, I'd recommend an MMC over rolled poly.  Less mess,
less bulk, seem to be much more robust.  I've tried to kill mine,
and it hasn't died yet.  I *did* kill 2 1/2 trannies, but that's
for another post ;)

 Now, the bleeder resistors, they don't seem to do a whole lot for
the voltage equalizing, but they *do* drain the cap down in a
fairly short time, and keep it shorted when not in use.  The
panasonic caps can hold their charge over a week.  Just trust me on
that.  I use 10 megaohm resistors from Digikey, they run ~$13 for
1,000 of them.  So far, it's a good investment, as I've used them
as bleeders, charge-limiters, current-limiters, voltage dividers,
etc.  The things are more useful than I ever thought they'd be.  10
megaohm's will work fine, and are cheap.  get the half-watt ones.
Check the list, I believe there's an MMC bulk buy going on, and
that'd be great to get in on.
                                                             Caio!

Shad