Re: Space winding

Hi Ken,
        I think I spot a problem:

On 11 Aug 00, at 18:25, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> I'm a bit reluctant to continue commenting on this subject:  Although I'm
> an E.E. college-graduate, it was 50 years ago & many of the details have
> long gone.  However...
>
> First, I repeat the tabulation & commentary given recently by Mark S.
> Rzeszotarski:

<snip>
> Now...my comments:
>
> 1.  Secondary Q = wL/R where w=2 x pi x resonant frequency, L =
> inductance & R = effective resistance.  Also, L is proportional to n^2,
> the square of the quantity of turns, other coil-shape factors being
> equal.
>
> 2.  From the tabulation, R diminishes, due to diminished
> proximity-effect, by 1/2 for a tabulation-"w" of 0.5; that is, for the
> case where the space between turns = the wire diameter.
>
> 2.1  But for that case, n has diminished to 1/2 of the prior quantity and
> so L diminishes to (1/2)^(1/2) or .25 and also, ohmic R diminishes by 1/2
> since the total wire length is 1/2 of what it was.

Why should n have diminished? Are we not talking about the
same number of turns?

> 2.2  Thus, it would seem, total effective R will have diminished to 1/2 x
> 1/2 = 1/4 of that for the close-wound case.  And thus, the new Q becomes
> 0.25/0.25 of the old Q, or just the same.

I have a set of measurements which shows that for the same
diameter, height and number of turns, a spacewind produces a
higher Q coil. I put them to the list about give years ago.

> 3.  The ultimate voltage developed in the secondary prior to a spark is
> going to be directly proportional to n and also to Q, given a big enough
> top toroid.  (I differ with Dr.  Rzeszotarski's assertion that the Q is
> "killed by the primary":  During the time of voltage build-up prior to
> the spark, the higher the Q the higher the voltage--given a large enough
> top toroid.  Once the spark commences, the secondary's Q does become
> immaterial, because of the major loading by the spark.  Then,
> power-delivery from the primary becomes important, in maintaining and
> lengthening the spark.  So, one might more properly say that the Q is
> "killed by the spark".)

If Q is infinite, output voltage is going have a definite
limitation because the secondary is being supplied with a
finite amount of energy. As Q climbs higher, the law of
diminishing returns is at work.
     Perhaps one might consider this to be all academic as
there are many fine coils out there both closewound and
spacewound. My view is simply that I can build a fine coil for
lower copper costs and of a lower weight by using a spacewind
with smaller wire.

Regards,
Malcolm