Shopping...and AVALON! HA!

Today, while shopping at my favourite abandond factory we came across a few
nice little toys :)

1. a small (possibly 5 or 10kVA) PIG mounted on the side of a building.
There are some rather weird things about it though. It has 4 wires on the LV
side and 2 on the HV. It's mounted DIRECTLY on the side of the building, no
poles, shelf...or whatnot...just a little bracket. It's about 1'dia and 1.5
to 2' tall and about 40 years old.

2. A MASSIVE PIG, about the sixe of a 35Gal drum. It's got a op like a
pressure cooker, or an autoclave. The top has a Flip-up, hinged bolt with a
wing-nut on either side. I have to get a closer look and will report when I
can for identification though we are guessing 25-50kVA. It's painted Green
and is about 40 + years old though it could be MUCH older.

3. A building inspector from the city. A tall man about mid 30's with a salt
and pepper beard. We might try selling him on Ebay, but it's not looking too
good. He DID tell us a great deal about the facility and invited us to a
meeting of the city council for dangerous buildings.
We attended the meeting today and found that the building is part of a
29acre complex of 16 buildings that (untill 5 years ago) were a paper mill.

We have approached the city about obtaining the facility for the location of
Avalon and have met with suprising results. We could have the facility by
spring if all goes well. The greatest thing is that the facility is owned by
a frustrated bankrupsy court instead of Bill (who is the only reason we
don't have the hydroplant yet).

Finally, the Group is back in motion on our housing hunt.

Now, some questions.....

1. Could a LARGE (1MVA) coil be built indoors? One of the buildings is an
old 4 story structure with one large room topped with a 25ton gantry crane.
A 40' coil could be build and operated in here with ease.

2. Can a coil be buit in such a way that the coil is indoors up to the roof,
and the topload sits on the roof ouside?

3. What are the effects of running a large coil in the city? What can we do
to minimise our impact on the surrounding community? Noise isn't an issue,
and light/arcs are fine (we have plenty of room) it's the EMF/EMI I worry
about.

Finally......Avalon is coming along. Construction should be simple...it's
the logistics that are such a pain. BS-Red tape-and lawyers can give a would
be coiler fits :) And at 25 I'm entirely too young for ulcers.

Have fun!

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group