Re: What has everyone got against PCB?

>Original poster: "Garth van Sittert" <garth-at-mediasupplies.co.za>
>
>Just what exactly is the disadvantages of using PCB caps or transformers?

Mainly health and environmental issues. P.C.B.s are VERY nasty things for
the ecology and are a known health risk for anyone working with them.

They have been used extensively for decades though, only in our generation
are they basically outlawed. My dad, and grandfather remember literally
taking baths in PCB laden transformer oil for hours on end as they worked
armpit-deep in large transformers.

>From what I understand, so long as you don't intend on handling it directly
or EVER thinking of disposing of it, having reasonable amounts of PCBs in
your possesion isn't a big deal.
I would not reccomend collecting 55Gal drums of it though :)

Just
>wanna make sure:  what exactly is PCB for the slightly ignorant (like me)?

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (or something spelled like it)

>Does it swell up and do all wierd things?

I know nothing of it's physical attributes other than most people who have
used it swear by it and it's absolutly impossible to get it to burn in
transformer duty. Supposedly, nothing compares.
Though the discussion of PCB's vs God knows what else is a bit of a Holy-War
on the list.

The 2 pigs I recently found, and about 20 large caps are most surely laden
with PCBs (the caps are already tagged), I really don't care because I
(being the epitome of PackRat) NEVER throw anything away.
God help you if you try to dispose of them, or sell them in an improper
manner. I have a friend who works in the DEQ and I've seen her wrath :)

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / Founder
The Geek Group
www.geekgroup-dot-org