Re: am I a SRSG failure?

on that fateful day 8/9/00 7:49 PM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
[snip]
> There may be something wrong with the florescent lights (no!, I'm serious!
> ;-)).  Today they use electronic ballasts and other goofy things (like long
> persistence) that may be messing that test up...
>
> Be sure there are good light and dark areas on the shaft or make a strobe
disk
> to put on the shaft.  Florescent lights give a pretty fuzzy indication so you
> need good black and white marks to show well.

I've been thinking of making a little neon strobe illuminator, and Dave
could too.  Just get yourself ten or so NE-2 (1/4 watt, .7mA) neon lamps,
put a dropping resistor of about 100k in series with each lamp, hook all in
parallel to the 120VAC line, place in a flashlight or similar reflector.
Watch for lead insulation.  Presto, a directional, moderately bright
line-sync'd light.

Someone like American Science & Surplus or one of those places had coiled
_neon_ (red, not xenon which is white) flashtubes which used to be used in
old automotive timing lights and other strobes.  That would work great.

I used to have a neon strobe tachometer with a line-sync setting, but I gave
it away.  I should borrow it back!  Gunner, if you read this, and you know
where it is... dig it out!  Be sure to reply off-list.

Hmmmm, I have an automotive timing light with an inductive pickup... sounds
like I should do some experimentation!

- Gomez

"The most fundamental human right is ownership of your body.
If you cannot do with it as you please, you are not yet free."
                                 - W. A. Lemieux