Re: Wild caps...and shopping :)

>One of the things we noticed on our little jaunt was a large bank of
>capacitors used next to the private substation for the plant. I have no
idea
>of ratings or whatnot (I have to go back tomorrow), but they were about 4W
>10L X 6D and had 2 HV bushings. These are probably rated for at least 2000
>and at most 15KV and I was woindering if they would work for TC duty.
Ideas?

Probably power factor correction capacitors.  Rated for 60 Hz AC, lousy for
TCs (fairly high ESR and inductance), so so for DC filter capacitors.  Often
have an internal bleeder resistor to meet code.  They'll probably be marked
in kVAR as well as kV, and not be marked with the capacitance (you have to
figure it out from the kVAR rating)  VAR = E^2 / (377 * C)   E in Volts, C
in Farad