[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Couples Therapy

Some stuff to add to what Antonio wrote.  For circuits with equal
primary and secondary Q's, the "flat-top"response occurs at critical
coupling, where kQ = 1.  For high-Q coils the condition is met with very
small coupling, for low-Q ones with correspondingly more.  Any talk
about critical coupling in connection with a Tesla coil is probably
meaningless, as the loading of the secondary due to the impedance of the
discharge is is non-linear and variable.  The whole object is to pump as
much power as possible into the discharge, however that is accomplished.

Ed