[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Searching for Electode Material

Or copper pipe sideways would be my choice... A standard tubing cutter
makes a nice curved inwards end to reduce end effects.  A bit of sanding
takes the corners off.  You can arrange the pipes at 90 degrees to each
other (axis of symmetry at 90 degrees) if you want a more defined sparking
point.

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Searching for Electode Material
> Date: Saturday, May 06, 2000 1:16 AM
>
> Original Poster: HomerLea-at-aol-dot-com
>
> There are all kinds of brass and many formulations contain lead which is
not
> so good because some can end up in the air you are breathing. Brass does
not
> conduct as well as copper. There are a variety of copper nails and bolts
used
> in the plumbing trade so check the hardware store. 1/2 inch copper pipe
end
> caps fitted over a bolt or ?? should make great electrodes.
> Jim Heagy
>
> > Subj:  RE: Searching for Electode Material
> >  Date:    05/05/2000 1:14:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time
> >  From:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla List)
> >  To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >
> >  Original Poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
> >
> >  Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.  It shouldn't be difficult to
find
> >  3/8" brass bolts in a good hardware store, but it probably has to be
better
> >  than your corner hardware store.  The important thing is to buy it or
make
> >  it such that the arcing surface of the electrodes has a large, smooth
> >  radius, like carriage bolts, though I've never seen those in brass.
If you