[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Valves

Mark
While it is certainly possible to make a saw tooth oscillator
with a thyratron I am not sure this is the best approach for
an initial tube coil. Some of the list members have experience
using thyratron circuits that, in a sense, substitute for the
spark gap oscillator (I am trying to avoid a long discussion).

I suggest that you find a high power triode or tetrode and use a
simple time proven plate tuned oscillator circuit with self rectification.
 For example 811A and 810 tubes can build tube coils capable of 10-12" corona.
An 833A can build a really nice and quite powerful CW coil that
can produce 24" corona discharge.

However, that thyratron is a dandy tube that I would certainly pick up
for the right price and add it to the parts supply. There are quite a few
HV uses (including tesla coil applications). It is simply my opinion that
this is not a good starting point.
Remember RF burns.
John

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Department Chair of Computational and Natural Science
Aurora University, Aurora IL 60506