[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Lots of questions on RSG's

Hi Kent,

>From: "Kent & Kim Schaffer" <santoken-at-bright-dot-net>
>To: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>Subject: Lots of questions on RSG's
>Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1999 09:55:47 -0400
>

>Hello Everyone!
>
>Now that i"ve been coiling for nearly a year now, I guess it's time to step
>up to an RSG and MMC outfit.  I have a friend machinist that is on standby,
>he always love what I have for him to do!  The only thing is I have many
>unanswered questions about an RSG, like:
>
>1    If your looking for around 280-300 BPS, why would you need a
>syncronious motor?

Probably not.  Synchronous gaps are good for pulling every bit of power out
of a line frequency current limited source.  However, if you have charging
energy to spare, you can get more power by firing the gap as fast as the
primary can recharge.

>2    I've red where many people have different views on material to use for
>the electrodes, would a high grade carbon work?

You need low wear, cool running, and low resistance (at high frequency).
Tungsten does very well but steel and brass do fine too with more
maintenance.  I would think carbon would have way too high of resistance
and would tend to get very hot spots.

>3    My machinist, Aaron, suggested running the RSG in a dielectric fluid,
>to assist in quenching and cooling, any thoughts?

I would think it would be a disaster.  The oil would get contaminated from
the firing rather quickly.  Also the oil would have to be spun with the
rotor.  This would require fairly high torque.  I would think an oil filled
rotor system would be one big problem after another.  Plus the oil would
have a very small gap distance due to it's high dielectric strength.  If
you are really good you could design it to break a vacuum spac3e in the oil
as the rotors passed allowing the arc to pass but that would be a marvel of
engineering.  Note that this approach has been tried but hardly ever
repeated ;-)  You may consider some type of gas atmosphere.  Perhaps there
is something to be gained there...

>3    Are there formulas that are required in designing an RSG, # of
>electrodes at a given rpm, etc?

If it is non-synchronous, there really isn't much to calculate aside from
the number of electrodes, RPM, break rate...

>4    Since I have many motors laying around, what is an ideal motor, RPM &
>HP, for the job (NST only)?

1/4 to 1/2 HP 1800 RPM.  3600 RPM is almost too fast and presents real
balance and heating problems.

>5    Is designing an RSG with an air blast a plus?

Some say yes, some say no...

>6    Does anyone have any url's that have reference info, not just "here's
>my rsg and it works really well"?
>
>Because, at this poiont, I really don't think that cost is a varible, I
>would really like suggestions on building a "bulletproof" unit.  I really
>only want to build one of these.
>
>BTW, two weeks ago, I gave on of my employees a stack of phone books and
>told him to find me all the used NST's he could muster, After one evening
>shot with two hours of drive time, we scored, from one outfit, 26 NST's
>varying potentials for 50 bucks!  Needless to say after that we had a great
>little party to celebrate!
>
>Also, We have decided to have a very small Teslathon, actually were calling
>it a TeslaFest, on October 30th.  Basically, we live in a very small town
>and we want to display a series of coils for the publics enjoyment!  I'm
>hoping to have the 'Fest outside in the early evening in front of my home,
>yes it's a rural community!  Anyone interested in participating can email me
>personally.  We're in a small town in Ohio, centrally located between
>Cleveland and Columbus.
>
>Kent

Cheers,

	Terry