[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Latest coil

Hi all,
           The stories I've been reading lately about racing sparks
occurring after Cp has been increased in value tend to confirm
my suspicions about the cause of these sparks I think:

> Original Poster: ajones-at-pointlink-dot-net
>
> In <4.1.19990906173541.009fc1d0-at-pop.dnvr.uswest-dot-net>, on 09/06/99
>    at 05:35 PM, Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> said:
>
> >Original Poster: Don Allen <dona-at-amigo-dot-net>
>
> >At 01:00 PM 09/05/1999 -0600, Tesla List wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >Do the racing sparks happen the entire run, or do you
> >notice it at a few seconds into power-up? Mine were the
> >entire (brief) run.
>
> >Don
>
> The entire run, and each was brief, at the most five seconds. That's
> all it took to let the smoke out of the wires and create more work for
> me. I'll try again tomorrow night if I can, using some of the
> suggestions I have gotten.
>
> Did you burn any wire on the secondary or did you shut down quickly
> enough to prevent it? Will racing sparks always cause burning or did I
> let it run too long?

*assuming* the gap was set to about the same distance in these
cases, the output voltage would have increased by a significant
amount.

Malcolm

BTW - I think I was AWOL in asking about the X-rays from
lightbulbs and gaps.