Near death from the smallest Tesla Coil I've ever built
Ok, I've been building Tesla Coils for 5 years.
My latest coil runs from a 90kV X-ray transformer.
Last night I acquired the smallest neon transformer I've ever come across,
I was tired, in the garage all day (literally), plugged in the coil (with
the power off) and decided to tighten up the transformer connections a bit
more before throwing the switch. Well, the switch on the transformer was
faulty and after several seconds of firmly gripping and tightening the input
power nuts, the switch failed and power kicking in: I instantly had 3kV
30mA shorted across my heart, coming from either hand, up my arms. My body
was shaking in pain and fright for 20 minutes afterwards.
That transformer, hardly the size of a grapefruit, nearly ended my life!!!!
And from such a foolish thing. Don't mess with any connections without
totally disabling the power, unplugging the coil, switching the breaker,
30mA at 100 volts can kill a person. That transformer was rated at 30 times
more than that. And that was about the smallest high voltage transformer on
Don't ever let yourselves get in too much of a hurry, or too tired while
coiling. It's not worth it.
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail-dot-com