[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: PCB Who?

PCB's were used instead of oil.  Askarel is another name for the specific
types used as insulators.  They are nonflammablem, nontoxic when pure(see
below) and have high dielectric constants. A lot of fire damage in the
industry was the result of the oil circuit breakers, reactance compensation
capacitors, and transformers catching fire. Rather than just one line going
down, the fire made sure that the whole substation was off line. PCBs were
hailed (justly) as a godsend. High breakdown strength, hydrophobic,
nontoxic, nonflammable, CHEAP.. the ideal liquid

The evil things (dioxins) are created as an unavoidable contaminant
byproduct in the manufacture. Just bad luck that they are carcinogenic in
very low concentrations. Also, because PCBs were so useful (compared to
oil) they were used in HUGE quantities, and the used PCB's were also used
for such things as spraying on dirt roads to keep the dust down, insuring
environmental contamination.