[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Corona and Sphere - Puzzle -addition

boris petkovic wrote:

> When powered by TC you can measure
> strenght of el.field >40 KV/cm and nothing
> (caracheristic visible corona doesn't appear).The
> question :How do charges at exposed side "know" that
> discharging already occurs in the black box and follow
> that path instead of forming new streamers despite
> more than sufficient el.fields reached?What mechanism
> determines and allow such behavior (I know it is
> powerful streamer in the black box but what
> exactly?).After that some of them start scraping their
> heads...The problem is not as simply as someone may
> think.Anyway thanks for thoughts/tries.

Remember that when a streamer forms, it drains charge from the terminal,
and the voltage at the terminal practically ceases to increase.
The obvious point where the electric field is high enough to cause
more ionization in this condition, helped by heat too, is at the tip,
or tips, of the forming streamer.
Additional streamers may form if for some reason the forming
streamer is draining charge at a smaller rate than the rate of
charge entering the terminal from the coil.
A streamer or spark may also behave as a high-frequency oscillator, and
the voltage at the terminal may oscillate to values high enough to form
additional streamers.
Or you may be seeing different streamers, produced by different
discharges of the system.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz