Someone had asked about using motor starting caps as PFC's.
There are two types of caps used with motors.  The starting
caps are electrolytic and have capacities in the range of
50 to several hundred uF.  The run caps are oil filled and
have a much lower capacity, in the range of 5 to 50 uF.,
depending on the size of the motor.

The start caps are in the circuit for only a few seconds at
the most, then are switched out with a centifigal switch, 
hence they are not built to handle current for prolonged
times.  On the other hand, the oil-filled run caps are
connected at all times while the motor is running.

Use the oil-filled run caps only for PFC and make sure that
you allow extra on the voltage ratings.  Units with 370 volt
ratings are fine for use on 120 volt NST's, but go with 600
volt caps if your transformer has a 240 volt primary.

73, Weazle.

J.B. Weazle McCreath, VE3EAR      Web:    www.solwind.on.ca
c/o Solwind Enerco Inc.,          E-mail: weazle-at-solwind.on.ca
Aerial Acres,                     Home:   (519) 524-7420
R.R. No. 4,                       Work:   (519) 524-8703
Goderich, On., N7A 3Y1            Fax:    (519) 524-6108