[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A few rules of thumb for the solid state crew.

Hello James,

> Original Poster: "The Flavored Coffee Guy" <elgersmad-at-msn-dot-com>
>
> Please, exercise extreem caution if you choose to follow these rules
> of thumb.
>

>     I am looking for anyone who is interested in designing a tesla
>     coil that
> follows a series of design rules that I have found that in simulation
> produces up to several Megawatts done right.  I know the calculations,
> and the basic design rules that are used to produce such a circuit.
> This all starts with this basic tuned circuit as an example of exactly
> how a primary winding should be resonant.  Now, with a solid state
> oscillator this is possible but, if you insist on using spark gaps
> then the means isn't effecient based on certian basic principals of
> signal inputs, and type of signal as to whether the proper
> circumstances exist for the circuit to function properly.
>
> http://members.xoom-dot-com/suckyfish/melissa/Resonance/Circuit.jpg
>
>     Now, just a capacitor and a coil produce the results that you see
>     on the
> breadboard when the circuit is at resonance.  Now, I looked at my past
> example, and it lacked a bit of information, and details that on the
> schematic shown the wrong parts values for the same circumstances to
> exist on the primary as this single tank circuit.

<snip>

Have you done any actual experiments or have you just used the
simulator?  I don't think a teensy oscillator is going to present any
major danger to an experimenter.  It can only source a few mA
continuously, right?

Malcolm
<snip>