[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 24-Gauge and 26-Gauge Wire

<< Original Poster: "Spud" <spud-at-wf-dot-net>

> I already have most of the components I need for my Tesla coil, like a 12kV
> / 30mA transformer, a 4"x26" secondary (the winding is actually 22"), etc.
> And I planned on wrapping the secondary with 24-gauge wire since that
> seemed to be what all the guys who knew what they were doing used on that
> size coil.  But it turns out I have a couple thousand feet of 26-gauge wire
> handy.   Can I use this wire without any serious performance drawbacks?

>   Thanks,
>         Ryan

Ryan,

Did you see my coil plans I posted a couple days ago?  I use a 12kV,
30ma NST, 4" by 23" secondary wound with # 28 magnet wire and I
obtain 42" sparks.  The thinner wire will not reduce the spark length
in any way, and may actually improve the sparks.  The good thing about
using thin wire in the secondary is it lets you use thin wire (and more
turns) in the primary and you don't have to bother with copper tubing.
Also, the many-turn primary may increase the primary surge impedance
and reduce the spark gap losses (the largest losses in a TC are usually
in the spark gap).  I use # 12 stranded pvc insulated wire in the primary.
The primary is close wound, so it results in a compact primary.  I've also
run the coil at higher power using a 15kV, 60ma NST, and obtained 64"
sparks (using a larger toroid).  But because this is a compact TC, the
secondary is near the edge of breakdown when it's giving off the 64"
sparks.  No breakdown occurs with up to 60" sparks however.  I simply
coat the secondary coil with one coat of Tripp Polyureathane water-based
coating.

Cheers,
John Freau