[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

V-27 Tube Coil Project

All,

I have begun the construction on my new tube coil project:

I wound the secondary coil for my V-27 project, for which I posted the
preliminary specs a couple weeks ago.  I used a 4 3/4" dia by 12"
plexiglas form (1/8" wall thickness).  I made up 1/2" thick lexan end
caps on the lathe, and held the caps in place using 3 nylon screws
at each end of the form.  The form was wound with # 28 formvar
magnet wire, about 780 turns, for a winding length of about 11.5",
and an inductance of about 25mH.  The winding has been coated
with 4 coats of Tripp water based polyurethane to hold it in place,
and protect it from damage.

Next I have to add the variable coupling post, and the toroid mounting
assembly.  I'll probably use a small 1.5" by 6" spun aluminum toroid
to prevent corona flaring at the top, and to perhaps slightly enhance
the performance.  There is some controversy about using toroids on
tube coils.  I generally gain about 1" of extra spark length using a
toroid.

The "V" stands for Vacuum tube Tesla coil, the "27" stands for the
27" sparks that I'm hoping to obtain from this small table top TC, thus
"V-27 Tube coil project".

I'm hoping the level-shifted power supply will add a new dimension of
efficiency to the project and help to achieve never-before-seen levels of
VTTC performance.

Cheers,
John Freau