[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Aluminum electrodes in TCBOR static gap

big Snip......

hey Gary ...

I have had similar results but with tungsten single gap setup at 10KW.
if i keep the power levels low my coil runs great, but... when i crank
it up( the power)  the coil runs for about 45 secs and then nada, the
gap is firing and the noise is no longer a popping sound but a constant
sizzle. it also does this with brass balls, copper rivets, stainless
steel carriage bolts, and aluminum rod electrodes. The electrodes show
extreme wear, melting, pitting and carbonization after such runs.
Obviously we are getting a situation in which the metal is ionizing and
causing the gap to not quench.

Scot D