[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pigs and other novice questions

Travis Tabbal <bigboss-at-xmission-dot-com> wrote:

>SCRs usually don't like inductive loads. Most SCRs I've seen would fry
>attempting to drive a transformer. Some coilers have tried to use light
>dimmers as a cheap variac, those use SCRs to control the output, and most
>of those units fail. There are some that will work, but I think they use
>something else to control the AC wave.

Actually you can use SCRs with inductive loads (like transformers).  You
have to place a snubber ( a resistor in series with a cap) across the main
terminals of the SCR.  This snubber reduces the change in voltage per time
the SCR sees at the current zero crossing.

I have a homemade SCR controller which uses two back to back SCRs, with (I
think) a 100 ohm 1 uf snubber across the SCR pair.  With that I can control
42 amps at 240 volts into a 0.42 power factor load (arc welder).

The Motorola semiconductor site has much info on SCR snubber theory.

But - all that being said - I don't think an SCR controller would help with
a PIG.  Once the SCR turns on - you get NO current limiting until the zero
crossing.  I think you'd still need a ballasting inductor in series with the
pig w/ any form of SCR or lamp dimmer arrangement.

-Bill