[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Safety Gaps

Hi Terry,

SNIPS
>Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Hi Viv,
>
> So, your running a sync rotary gap with resonant rise and lots of safety
>gaps.  However, you are not able to limit the arcs to just the main gap.
>The safety gaps still fire.
>
 >You
>realize that the main gap phase may be shifted by the resonant circuit in
>the primary.

I can alter the phase of my rotary while its running but at no point can I
stop the safety gaps from firing!

> There is a chance that there is something going on in the filter circuit.
>Those Ls and Cs and other "stuff" used in neon protection filters can cause
>small resonances too.  These may be acting up with your system and causing
>voltage spikes.  I can't determine this without knowing a lot of funny
>parameters.

I only have a couple of small chokes in the HV lines.  I do have some new
EMI filters in the 240V side but I don't think they are causing a problem.

>But no problem...  I think the problem is far simpler.
>
>Please see Gary Lau's wonderful web page and especially the following:
>
>http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/gapsim.htm
>
> His first simulation shows that with resonant rise, the primary cap is
>able to charge to firing voltage many times during a single AC cycle.  Of
>course, that is the problem.

I have just realised that I designed my system for my previous Neon which
was 10Kv 50ma i.e. 0.015uF.  I now have 10Kv 120ma, thus even without
resonant rise I can charge multiple times per cycle.  So for resonant
charging I will need 0.038uf and LRC of say 0.1uf.  Man thats a lot more
cap - my cap is a dry flat plate type so I can increase it at will, but
maybe I'll do it in stages.

Still at least I might be able to use my other torroid (25") with the lower
frequency.

Thanks for pointing the way Terry

regards

Viv Watts UK.