[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

was : Its alive

Greetings all,
   Have continued modifications to my coil and thought I would let you know
where I am at now.
The primary has 12 turns of 4 ga. wire and an inside dia. of 6 in. the
spacing is 3/8 in. The capacitor is a .005 uf rolled poly and aluminum
flashing. The secondary is 4 in. acrylic wound with 20 in. of 24 ga. wire.
The current toroid is 4 in. x 16 in. aluminum duct covered with foil tape. I
am using a 15KV -at- 30 ma. NST. I am using one of Quicks gap designs using 13
1in. x 4 in. copper tubes with a 240 CFM fan. Using the above setup, I have
the primary tapped at about 11 turns and am getting 12-14 in. sparks all
around the toroid. The sparks start at about 35 v. into the NST. If I put my
20 in. toroid on, I can get 24 in. sparks to a grounded object if I put a
small nail taped to the toroid.
   I am still experimenting with tuning etc. but am pleased that it works at
all. The fact that it hasn't gone up in smoke was a releif. I am planning a
larger coil in the future, but want to experiment with this one a bunch more
and get used to how things are supposed to work first.
  I would again like to thank all that have given ideas and suggestions to
me during this project. A lot of the RF theory that I havn't used for years
is coming back to me now.
   Any further comments on improvements wouls be appreciated.

BTW. The rolled poly caps are really easy to make and are really inexpensive
to make. The one I made which is .005 uf and rated at 40 KV and cost less
than $50.00 to make. With the materials left over, I can probably make 2 or
3 more.
   Thanx again
George Stein