[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Need more help.

In a message dated 5/11/99 3:27:57 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I found several heat sinks at the scrap yard with several power transistors
>  paralleled on the heat sinks.  The Emitters are connected in parallel with
>  what appears to be a piece of .065 diameter nichrome wire.  I figure the
>  nichrome wire serves at a resistor for each trasistor.  If this is true I
>  will not have to buy several .1 ohm resistors for each transistor emitter.
>  It is 1.125" between each solder connection.
>
>  Is there any way to tell if this wire is really nichrome wire?

Gary,
   14g AWG (.064 inch diam) nichrome wire has only .0054 ohms per cm
resistance.  This is why you cannot read any resistance on your meter.  You
should be able to see a green color(nickel chloride) in solution if you
dissolve it in hydrochloric acid.  The green color would turn a brilliant
blue (nickel - ammonium complex) if you neutralize the solution with ammonium
hydroxide (careful if you try this!!!).  If you do try the second part, use
dilute solutions and go slowly to avoid spattering of acid.
 Hope this helps,
Mike