[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Successful run!

	I would like to conclude my previous posts with this message.  At about
9:14 this night (Sat. 8) I got the Tesla Coil that had been inactive,
active.  I'm sorry for the vague specifications earlier, so I will list the
entire thing here:
	2 15kv 30ma transformers in parallel
	.009 uf saltwater capacitor
	about 1/4 " spark gap
	2 chokes, safety gap
	Primary: 1/4" pipe, 3/8 inch spacing, 14 turns
	Toroid: 4" center, 9" total diameter, 4" pipe (Toroid not used during run)
I am incredibly happy that I finally got a response from the coil.  I would
also like to thank everyone on the list who has helped me.  Now I have some
questions:  The toroid as described above does not work on the coil, nothing
happens with it on top.  Without the toroid and only a screw, I get about 7"
streamers from the screw and the top few turns of the secondary.  Is it
normal to get things from the secondary, or do I have to do something in
terms of tuning etc?  At least now I can work on improving the design,
rather than getting it to work.  Also in regards to my earlier posts, this
is what I did to "fix" the problems I had:  I doubled the capacitor value
(.005 -> .009), I added 5 more turns to the primary coil, and I put another
15kv 30ma transformer in parallel with another (Which, by the way, are
completely dissimilar).  It seems that I should get better streamers from
the coil with two 15kv transformers, but they are not too good.  Once again,
I would like to thank everyone on the list for their help.

-Andy