[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 50KVA Pigs

Limiting the current is what the welder is for. You hook the two "hot"
terminals of the welder (a 200-amp or so continuously-variable model with
the output leads [the welding cables] shorted) in series with power and one
side of the low-voltage winding of the transformer, and the other
low-voltage lead of the transformer to the other side of power. Thus the
welder acts as a variable series choke, limiting the current the
transformer can
draw, thus giving you a variable-output TC.  You should be able to scrounge
a welder for $100 or so. If you don't
cut the plug off, you can still use the welder for its intended purpose.
BTW, don't worry about harming the pig with any current you have available.
Those things are built to be **ABUSED**. A 30-50 amp mains supply would be
good if you want a big coil. Watch out, though. HV currents of this
magnitude are lethal (read, 'hot dog cooker"), and an arc in the wrong
place will start a fire in a second.

Ken Donnell