[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Manly saltwater caps

Alright...here's the idea.

I keep hearing that glass is very lossy for saltwater caps, and has a nasty
habit of breaking while in use from thermal expansion. I also hear that
polyethyline is groovy. Well I'm not sure, but I think that the big 5 gallon
water jugs that they use for office coolers (think Absopure) are made of PE.
Would it be a good idea instead of using a bunch of little bottles wired in
paralell, to use one big one?
It would have a huge amount of surface area...maybe 4 square feet or so. It
would also have a 2" opening at the top, the source for another idea.
If I wrap the whole thing with Al foil and fill it with salt water, would it
be a good idea to make a small rolled tube of Al foil and hang it in the
center? The basic idea here is to increase the surface area. Does the water
act as a conducter or dialectric?
The thing is I can't figure out if the water is supposed to be one of the
plates with the wall of the jar the dialectric, or if it's the water itself.
In any case, I'm sleeping with a copy of "Capacitor theory and design" under
my pillow tonight. I'm working on a learn-by-osmosis theory....I'll let you
know how it turns out.

The Coronaphile
Christopher A. Boden
The Geek Group