[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More thoughts on RSG dwell time

<<
> I haven't done this but it would be neat.  If you have a pig system that
> you know can charge the primary cap several times during the AC cycle.  One
> could use a sync gap that had a series of gaps that were spaced at the
> charging rate.  In other words instead of having 4 electrodes on a 1800 RPM
> rotor, you could have say 4 groups of 5 or 20 total electrodes.  Each of
> the five electrodes in a group would be spaced so that the cap could
> recharge before it would fire next.  In fact, they could be spaced
> proportionally to account for faster or slower charging of the primary cap
> depending on exactly where on the AC cycle they are programmed to fire.
> During the low voltage parts of the AC cycle there would be no electrodes
> and thus no wasted energy.  This would truly be an optimal sync gap.  It
> would also be a great exercise for the computer models to do something
> really useful :-)

> Comments and suggestions are welcome on one of the last and most complex
> frontiers...

> 	Terry

Terry,

I did some work with bunched and unequally spaced electrodes
on a sync gap a couple of years ago.  I tried 240, 360, 480, and 720
bps.  The results were not encouraging (it drew a lot of power for the
spark length), but it may be worth re-investigating.  I've posted some
of the results in the past.

John Freau