[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement Current Revisited

On 03/25/99 03:16:04 you wrote:

>Original Poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>
>"  Ed -
>
>  I also wondered about the compass test. However, Tesla said the RF
>sine
>wave from the TC is not symmetrical so it would affect the compass if
>the
>field was strong enough. To my knowledge no one has ever made this test.
>Hall effect IC could also be used. This test might also be a good tuning
>test.
>
>  I agree a preliminary test of only the secondary could be made by
>running
>a small DC current thru it. This would give some idea of how nuch
>current
>would be required to deflect the compass and how to best align it.
>
>  Apparently the induction field falls off inversely as the cube and the
>EM
>field falls off inversely as the square of the distance.
>
>  John Couture"
>
>        I haven't seen the Tesla quote you mention, but if he said that he was
>just plain wrong.  In order for there to be a DC magnetic field from the
>coil there would need to be a net DC current flowing in the secondary,
>which would require a net DC voltage across the winding.  Not
>reasonable.  Same reason that you can't pass DC through a conventional
>transformer; no matter how distorted the waveform may be, the average
>voltage must be zero.
>
>Ed

3/26/99

John, Ed and list,

Where is the citation that Tesla made the above quote?  I would like to
retreive
the quote and read it in the context in which it is written.

Ed, I think it's been well established that a disruptive TC not only has
RF EM current, but also has an independant DC bias and polarity.  Richard
Hull has powered small electrostatic motors from this DC (ES) electricity
from his coils.  As I understand it, these motors will only run with ES
power and not with EM.

I think the analogy of a firing disruptive TC to a conventional transformer
is not totally correct in establishing absence of a net DC current flowing
in a TC secondary.  The two are very far apart especially in their mutual
inductance and coupling.

RWW