[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Displacement Current Revisited

On 03/25/99 23:04:24 you wrote:

>Original Poster: Bryan Kaufman <bryan-at-apexrad-dot-com>
>
>Is this for DC coils or do AC coils have a "rectifier" effect?
>
>Bryan Kaufman
>>
>> Original Poster: rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I suspect that your "near field" is just composed of the concentric magnetic
>> "fields" of the DC current flowing in the TC as opposed to the EM field.  If
>> a wire with a few milliamps DC flowing through it is approached with a cheap
>> compass the concentric magnetic fields are readily appearant.  Turn your TC
>> horizontally and approach the side of the coil with a compass on the end of
>> a long insulated pole.  The compass should align itself with the longitudnal
>> axis of the coil confirming that it's the concentric magnetic fields of the
>> DC current in the TC.  As an aside, the electric "fields" of the DC current
>> should radiate radially at right angles to the longitudnal axis of the TC.
>>
>> BTW, the compass should be an easy way to establish the overall polarity of
>> DC current in a TC.
>>
>> R. Wall

2/26/99

Bryan and list,

There is a definite DC polarity bias with disruptive TCs.  I do not know about
DC coils.  If memory serves me correctly, DC bias was not observed in a tube
coil.  Presumably the wave form is symetrical and any form of bias is controled

by the tube.  However, memory is a fragile thing and I refer you to Richard
Hull's body of work in this area.

RWW