[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: tapered secondary form?

Tristan,

You may want to consider the following.

In view of the size of the coil, and the mass,
you may have flex or sag problems; particularly
if you contemplate ever moving the coil in a vehicle.

One possible solution that others have used is to
"glass" the outside of the form. I am not sure of the
epoxy-resin specs that need to be followed, but
maybe someone else knows off-hand, I think this
was discussed some time ago in the archives.

This would also "patch" the seam between the two
containers.

Another thought is the support of the coil.
The easiest way to mount the coil is to just rest it
on the end. A disadvantage is that you would have
to build up a base under either the primary or the
secondary to adjust the coupling constant. An
alternative would be to build a telescoping support
from two nested PVC pipes positioned with nylon
bolts. This mounts to the joined bases of the
containers, reinforcing the joint between them.
By this technique you solve several problem, but
it is definitely more work.

Bryan Kaufman