[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Thorated vs Pure Tungsten

The thorium could easily cause the sporadic firing. The alpha and beta
particles
coming off the thorium would ionize the gap, and the laws of probability
would say
that every so often, a few would shoot out in a line and ionize enough for the
existing voltage to go the rest of the way. It's the same effect that makes a
Geiger counter work--when a high-energy particle passes through, it ionizes the
gas, and in the geiger, it's set just at the breakdown voltage, so when one
goes
through, it trips the arc over.