[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Neonics wonderland!!!!

"  Ed, All -

  I think you are correct because the NSTs heated up when I operated my
coils even without resonant charging. The NST is charging the primary
capacitor for only part of the 60 Hz sine wave before the spark gap
operates. Where is the extra load to give the over 900 watts?

  John Couture"

	The "extra load" will occur due to secondary voltage rise beyond the
normal no-load value, due to the resonance.  That is the only way you
can increase the current beyond the short-circuit value.  (Simplified,
but essentially correct.)  If you operate open-circuited with resonant
load the current will rise dramatically and the transformer will
probably fail pretty quickly.

Ed