[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Capacitor voltage and corona

> In an oil-immersed cap, the oil fills in gaps between the plates and the
> poly, so a dry cap will have substantially less capacitance per area due
> to the large amount entrapped air.
Bert: I agree with most of what you said, but I just don't by this
comment, unless it only refers to rolled caps? I've made 2 plate caps,
and I'm now working on my third. In the first two, I saw less than
5% increase in capacitance dry vs. wet. Part of that can be contributed
to my construction technique - which is a little unorthodox. I compress
the cap between 3/8" acrylic in a press, and then attach hard straps
at the corners to hold compression.

Michael Baumann
Coiler, Homebrewer, Nerd. mycroft-at-access1-dot-net