[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Grounding. Oh joy.

to: Yuri

A good way to ground the sec coil without running pieces of sheet copper and
messing with epoxies, is just use a 4 AWG fine stranded welding cable which
is available through any local supplier of welding equipment.  For coils
running above 4 kVA use 2 ought welding cable.  The peak RF currents require
a ground with a low impedance.

If other people in your immediate area are using the water pipe as an
electrical ground then they could possibly get sparks out of their water
faucets if there was a poor ground path, however, this is extremely
unlikely. It would be a problem in an apartment building where many persons
share a common water pipe.   In many conditions, the water pipe will serve
as a good electrical ground for your secondary coil.  You might need to
experiment with this to determine optimum conditions.

Most coilers use a pair of copper ground rods approximately 10 feet apart
driven into the ground, and then connect to them with a low resistance cable
such as the welding cable.  Welding cable is convenient because it can
easily be rolled up and moved aside when the coil is not in use.

If the bottom of the secondary coil does not have a low impedance ground it
doesn't know which end of the coil is supposed to be hot, so it starts
arcing out of the lower turns and can quickly destroy the coil or wires'
insulation.  This is why a good ground is essential for proper operation.

Regards,

Dr.Resonance