[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MMC Caps

Hi Alan,

> Original Poster: Alan Sharp <AlanSharp-at-compuserve-dot-com>
>
> Greetings,
>
> I've now sent off 1150 caps and 300 resistors - the
> UK bulk order most of them have arrived - apart
> from the parcel now sailing off to New Zealand.

Thanks. The cheque is on its way.

    I've now tested an MMC on my work coil using the same caps
(bought by the firm). Peak primary current is around 700A at a gap
firing voltage around 7.5kV. Performance is pretty much identical to
the dry fired caps but won't need replacing nearly as often if at all.
I used 15 strings of 7 caps with a 10 MOhm bleed resistor across each
cap in the strings. That gives the MMC a rating of 10.5kVDC according
to the manufacturers. There was a fair spread in nominal values so
I matched the caps in each string as best I could given the specific
number ordered. I designed a PC Bd for the job and printed about
forty so I'm ready to build mine as soon as the caps from Alan arrive.

Malcolm