[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MOT's for sale, or advise for a MOT

Hi Scott,
              The MOT / MOC combination will not work in tesla coil duty.
The cap will swell up and explode in your face and the MOT will overheat
after a while.  MOTs are useless in tc duty if you do not put lots in series
or use a voltage doubler circuit because their output voltage is too low to
use a conventional spark gap with.  If you use a reso-cap with the MOT you
will destroy it through corona damage.  I assume the arc figures you give are
the lengths you can _pull_ the arc to rather than the striking distance as
they would otherwise suggest that you have got a 450kV MOT on your hands.  If
you current limit and voltage double MOTs they make excellent tc power
supplies, as my next 5kVA coil will demonstrate with 4 MOTs and inductive
current limiting.

Nick Field