[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Morton Salt

At 04:31 PM 7/15/99 -0600, Tesla List wrote:
>Original Poster: erik.beckhaus-at-t-online.de (Mein Name)

Sodium Chloride mixed with aluminum hydroxide. That's the standard
formula for Morton's salt. The aluminum hydroxide is there to prevent
the Morton's salt from clumping together in humid conditions, but a lot
of people put grains of rice in salt shakers to accomplish the same thing.

This is actually salt that has all the essential elements and minerals
processed out. If you put tropical fish into a mixture of Morton's salt
and water, they'll die. That should tell you something about using
Morton's salt for human consumption, since most of the trace
minerals are processed out. Use Sea Salt if you're going to actually
eat salt. It isn't processed and retains all the essential minerals.

For coiling purposes, I'd suggest using rock salt instead. It
makes a much better brine solution.

Don

>Hello Coilbuilders,
>
>This is a cry for Help ! Can Anybody give me the formula of Mortons Salt ?
>I am new to this group and still constructing my Tesla-Coil. I decided to
build
>everything myself because it is cheaper.
>I also decided to build the capacitors myself. I chose a saltwater-design. The
>salt which is used is supposed to be "Mortons-Salt".
>I have no idea at all what Mortons Salt is. As I live in Germany I must know
>the German name for it, but I could find no explanation at all in any of my
>dictionaries.
>If somone can give me the formula, or the name according to the UIPAC
>standards, I will know what it is, and I will be able to detemine the German
>name for it. Thanks in advance,
>
>Regards, Erik.

---

"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God" - Thomas Jefferson