[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Fiat PVC, Fiat Lux

I finally got a nice clean 4-inch wide PVC pipe, and 22 gauge magnet wire to
wind. This new secondary will replace my insult to the hobby of Tesla
coiling, my 2-inch cardboard wrapping paper tube, 30-gauge wire seconday.
This time I'm going to get it right. Everything. But first I need to know
what everything is. So far I've sanded the pipe down to a fairly smooth, not
at all shiney surface. Should I continue sanding with fine paper until it is
really quite smooth? As smooth as it was before? Next, I know that I have to
coat the pipe with something before winding. What is this magical substance
that I should use? Will it go on nice and evenly, or will I have to re-sand
afterward? Next, I assume I wind the wire. (Yawn... I wish I had a lathe...)
Then am I meant to put another coat of the magical coil coating on top of
that? Sand? Does it matter if it's nice and shiny in the end? How do I make
sure I don't sand the enamel off the wire? Please help. Also, I am vaguely
aware that I should make the coil airtight with a plastic disk on each end.
Why is this necessary? What are the advantages of an airtight coil form?
And, last of all, can I attach these disks using hot glue, or is that a
no-no? I apologize if I've asked too many questions in one post. Answers to
some, or preferably all of these questions would be appreciated and
eternally helpful. Thank you.

-Yuri Markov
Proud owner of a PVC pipe

Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn-dot-com