[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Questions for the simulators.

At 06:50 PM 1/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Original Poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <mopar-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
>Eddie,
>
>How about a graph of aspect ratios and turns.
> http://www.geocities-dot-com/capecanaveral/hangar/3108/Turnsratio.html
>
>You can look at other graphs at the site to determine performance against
this
>data. The graph will show most geometric ratio's are between 2.5 and 5. The
>graph also shows coilers keep their coils between 700 and 1,300 turns.
>However,
>other graphs at the site will show arc lengths (if this is what you mean by
>performance) is achieved by increasing the energy per break and with large
top
>loads which are accompanied by secondary wire size and heights to handle
>the arc
>performance.
>
>BTW, this graph should load 70% faster than graphs I've put up the last
couple
>of weeks. Today I will replace the previous "slow loading" graphs with faster
>
>Eddie, why do you think an hour glass shape might have better
characteristics?

Bart, your data is beautiful, I just wish it included more coils that
deviate from the norm.  As for shaping the secondary, I give an hour glass
only as an example. My thought is that the shape of the coil could be used
to improve the field shaping for the purpose of increasing the maximum arc
length possible before secondary breakdown. From my brief readings on HV
pulse transformer design I gleaned that sharp field gradients near the
secondary windings are not desirable. Perhaps someone could use a field
solver to explore the possibilities(Jim??? Any other takers?).

  Another possibility would be a secondary that transitioned from a flat
spiral to a cylinder. A highly coupled coil could be made without the
breakdown risks of a cylindrical secondary inside a conical or helical
primary. This arrangement would be like a hybridized pulse transformer and
resonator.

Food for thought,

Eddie Burwell