[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

10K 100 watt Rheostat

Guys,
   My search for tube coil parts continues. I'm appreciative of the many
proper use of the list.
   As the subject suggests, I'm looking for a 10K, 100 watt rheostat or
variable resistor. But again, we run into  the availability problem.
Most new rheostats seem to run about $25.00 for a 50 watt unit. I'm
prepared to pay that amount, but  you guys understand the desire to
economize.
   The question comes down to what is available on the used/surplus
market. For example, I could use a 5K fixed + 5K rheostat (or variable).
Sufficient adjustment may be provided by using 9 series connected fixed
+ 1 variable 1K unit. All should be at least 100 watts. There are many
usable variations.
   Source suggestions?
   At least I was able to obtain 4-- 833As at a reasonable price:
Nothing. I know a guy at a radio station. The tubes were pulled from
their transmitter. They won't produce full power, of course; but they
are not pulled when they're shot, so they should still be useable. A
rewound MOT will provide the filament voltage. I already have high
voltage xfmrs, raw materials for primaries and secondaries, etc. The
caps and resistors are the sticking point.
   Finally, I should publicly thank John Freau for his considerable help
with this project.
Dave Hartwick

Dave Hartwick