[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tube coil capacitors

>Original Poster: Brandywine <brandywine-at-writeme-dot-com>
>
>Guys,
>   I'm in the process of building a high power tube Tesla coil. I'm
>looking for a source of capacitors, preferrably used, for this
>project.
>Any ideas?
>Dave Hartwick

Dave,
What do you mean by high power? I have just finished an 833A tube coil
that can produce a 20" spark and uses a "doorknob" capacitor (for the
plate tank) that does not heat up much at all.  It took several
capacitors before I found one that worked well. I bought it new from RF
Parts co. for $14, which is better than many used prices I have seen for
these. Its an Erie 1900 pF / 15 kV capacitor. I use it in parallel with a
100 pF air variable immersed in mineral oil for a total of ~200 pF. For a
coil with the lowest loss, a big air variable in mineral oil will
probably work well. I have heard that old transmitting mica capacitors
are well suited to tube coils, but they're expensive and hard to come by.

-Carl