[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Operation - was "Harmonics"

Tesla List wrote:

> If k=sqrt(L1/L2) then L2=L1/(k*k): for L1=13uH and k=0.2 --> L2=0.32mH. On
> the other hand, If I just reconnect my secondary I get
> k=sqrt(13uH/29mH)=0.02. It looks like the whole secondary needs to be
> recalculated or the primary needs to be bigger.

This circuit really appears to require relatively large primaries if k
is
to be kept at about 0.1. As sqrt(L1/L2) is also the inverse of the
voltage
multiplication ratio of the circuit, the ratio is limited to about 10,
requiring high input voltage for long output sparks. This may be the
fundamental reason why the transformer version is preferred.

> Does this lead to the second coil (tighly coupled to the primary) typical
> of 3-coil magnifiers?

The magnifier could be another way of building this circuit with lower
input voltage. The function of the transformer would be then to increase
the voltage at the base of the main resonator.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz