[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Gap Question

Hi Max,

At 08:59 PM 12/30/1999 +0000, Max Erhard <max.erhard-at-softhome-dot-net> wrote:

>Very interesting, it seems that lots of motors are syncronous, even
>though it would not immediately seem so. I have a washing machine motor,
>strangely enough it is an induction motor (no carbon brushes in sight)
>and appears to have salient rotor (there are silver lines running down
>it). It has wiring for 1400rpm and 2800rpm operation (there's also a
>very sluggish speed of something like 150rpm for normal washing, the
>1400 and 2800 being slow and fast spins), all of which are divisible by
>50 (I have a 50hz mains supply). Can I assume it is a syncronous motor ?

I really Doubt it is synchronous.  Sync and async motors tend to get hot
and are not very efficient.  That is why they are so rare.  A washing
machine motor is probably designed to have a lot of slip since it has to
spin up and down in speed for the washing machine.

>My problem would then be fixing electrodes to the spindle, it has a
>smooth aluminium flywheel, normally of course a belt would go round
>this. I assume that using a belt drive would screw up all the
>syncronicity.

I have had great luck using drill chucks.  Go to the hardware store and get
a 3/8 or 1/2 inch replacement drill chuck for about $10-15.  Also get a
high strength bolt that threads into to back with some washers.  You can
bolt the rotor to the chuck and then clamp the motor shaft in the drill
end.  Tighten it "really tight" and your set.  I have never had one come
loose or give me any problems.  The alignment is perfect and they are much
stronger than any typical hub.

Cheers,

	Terry

snip...