[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: COMPONENTS and wire

I can't make out just what it is that you have, but it's unlikely that any
"normal" choke would be suitable for use in an NST protection network.
Chokes employed there must withstand many tens of KV across them, and
anything built for lesser applications would probably arc over.

Further, chokes are no longer recommended for use in NST protection
networks.  Current thinking favors R-C networks instead.  Search the
archives under "protection networks".

>what kind of wire do u use to connect the different components together in
a >12Kv, 60mA Tesla Coil?????????????
Two kinds are necessary.  The tank circuit requires very heavy and direct
connections.  The loop consisting of the spark gap, primary coil, and tank
capacitor should be made of #10-8 AWG cable, or heavier.  The insulation
probably doesn't matter as these connections should be laid out such that
they don't come close enough to anything that they can arc to.  Strips of
copper flashing or copper tubing also work well.

The HV wiring from the NST to the protection network and to the tank circuit
is not at all critical, any wire gauge will do.  This wiring may be less
direct than the tank circuit, so there may be situations where insulating it
may be important, so neon sign wire is a good choice.  It has been suggested
that even this wiring should be kept as short as possible, so that may be a
good idea as well.

Regards, Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA