[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Richie's Homepage and other topics

Hi Alan,
              Measuring resonator Q isn't a major problem. If you want
an accurate figure for resonator comparisons, minimal output
base feed is required. Loading includes dangling scope probes near
the coil.
     Otherwise, measure the coil in situ to get the actual running
figure (before breakout)..

> Original Poster: Alan Sharp <AlanSharp-at-compuserve-dot-com>
>
> Message text written by INTERNET:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>
> Malcolm,
> I certainly with your comments on Richies web page.
> Thanks for the comments on my web page:
> >(1)     Mark Barton's 10kW flamethrower was definitely using IRF840
> FETs.
> This makes sense to me - Mark refered to irf540 in an email somewhere
> but these are 100V max compared to 500v for the irf 840. Do you have
> any other details of Marks "flamethrower"? (This was a 10kW Solid
> State Coil that produced a 3 foot wall of flame before the smoke came
> out)

He told me that the turns ratio in the driver was critical. I can't
remember which way round it was  but having too many (few) turns
in the primary prevented power going in and too few (many) resulted
in smoke. The driver transformer had a closewound secondary with
a wall of insulation and a primary wound along the outside so that k
was in excess of 0.9. There isn't much more that I remember. Z
matching does become critically important in CW operation and
doesn't seem to matter for cap discharge operation.

> >(2)     Duane Bylund's use of DC resistance as a starting point for
> >matching a driver to a secondary could IMHO be bettered somewhat but
> >there is still a rider.  Firstly, a better match for the driver to a
> non-
> >sparking coil could be done by *accurately* measuring the Q of the
> >coil and deriving its ESR using  R = SQRT(L/C)/Q.  This figure is
> >considerably higher than the DC resistance of the coil in general and
> >should be good for direct coupling. For k < 1 this figure would be
> >higher. The rider: this figure would also be better for sparking
> >conditions (corona in particular) as the impedance at the base of the
> > secondary rises while the load impedance at the top reduces ( I have
> >measured this and infer that 1/4 wave transformer principles do apply
> >to the secondary - the base impedance swings about Zo^2 in accordance
> >with loading).  This is my opinion anyway. I measured this using link
> >coupling to the base of a resonator a few years ago.  Comments,
> >measured refutations welcomed.
>
> That still leaves the problem of measuring the Q. I really now resort
> to making multitap output transformers. Good old suck it and see!

That's basically the approach Mark took I think.

> My page in at
> http://ourworld-dot-compuserve-dot-com/homepages/alansharp/
>
> Alan Sharp (UK)

Regards,