[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: MMC caps & Resistors

>Who on the list designed a sort of MMC looking affair with lots of
resistors
>between the caps????? Would that party please step forward. I have many
>questions.
Don't know if you saw my photo, or not but I include 10 megaohm hivoltage
resistors accross every cap mainly for safety - to bleed away the charge
after use but also with some vague ideas about equalisation - making sure
every cap sees the same voltage.

>For example, why the resistors? And how do you calculate their values? The
>benefits?
The value is not critical - too low and they heat and waste energy, too
high
and the take forever to discharge the caps - 10M seems a popular choice.

>I plan to build the best MMC I can for this coil and if it means a few
extra
>bucks at that point, it's worth it.

The caps are more critical.
More info on my site: