[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RSG

<<
> Hello all,

> I have seen a lot of discussion lately about the advantages of using sync
> rotaries with NST's. What is the latest thinking on RSG use with pigs? Is
> non sync still the best? And what break rate keeps a pig happy?

> Thanks in advance,

> New pig user, (and still trying to use static gaps),
>Jon Rosenstiel

Jon,

There is no certain break rate that will keep a pig happy.  It depends on
the size of the capacitor mostly.  If the cap is large, a lower break rate
will work well.  If the capacitor is small, a higher break rate will be
needed.  The only way to get strong sparks with a small cap and
low break rate is to raise the pig voltage (in other words a different
pig maybe 20kV or so).  Another way to look at the issue is to say
that input power is the real key.  More power = more spark if
everything is working right.  I've found better  results at low break
rates in my work at lower power using potential transformers at
1 to 2 kW.

IMO, a 120bps sync gap will probably give the longest sparks from
a pole pig, *if* the capacitor is the right size.  Sync rotary gaps systems
have to be built *just right*.  With a non-sync gap, there is more flexibility
to raise the break rate and compensate for other flaws....such as a too
small capacitor.  It is easier to design and build a TC with a non-sync
rotary gap.  In any case you'll get good results because the pig has
plenty of power.  The 120 bps sync gap is more important with feeble
xfrmers such as NST's.

If you use 120bps, but the cap is too small....the performance will
be miserable on any TC.

Higher break rates might give a brighter spark.

Cheers,
John Freau