[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tesla Coil Power Calculations

At 10:20 AM 8/2/99 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi Terry,
>
>Consider that with a close to 90% reversal in the first primary half
>cycle of oscillation, gap ionization reaches a maximum. As ions don't
>disappear all that quickly, the reducing gap current beyond that is
>causes far less losses than one might think if one assumes that Rgap
>follows primary current. I'm suggesting that Vgap drops to a low in
>the initial 1/4 cycle and pretty much stays there until the end of
>primary ringdown. If this does happen, then as Ip drops, so does Pgap.
>
>Regards,
>Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

	www.peakpeak-dot-com/~terryf/tesla/misc/M8-1.jpg

	Has a scope capture of the voltage and current across the gap of a primary
circuit (no secondary in place).  It shows a rather large voltage across
the gap initially and then a rather steady voltage waveform despite the
diminishing current after that.  This would tend to show exactly what you
are suggesting!

Cheers,

	Terry